Some Questions to think about for Monday 10/15/18:
- Given that the Internet allows a lot of anonymity, and permits people to try on different personas, what happens to our character when we’re online? Do our
character strengths remain constant?
- What character strengths do you think are important in the digital age? Can you think of something you or someone else posted online that demonstrated a particular character strength?
- The film ends by asking you to complete this sentence: I want to be ____________________. What do you want to be? What character strengths will help you achieve that, and how will you use them?
- The film quotes a statement Frank Outlaw made in 1977:
a. “Watch your thoughts, they become words;
b. watch your words, they become actions;
c. watch your actions, they become habits;
d. watch your habits, they become character;
e. watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”
How would you update that today?
h. Watch your texts, they become ________________________
i. Watch your tweets, they become ______________________
j. Watch your Instagrams, they become __________________
k. Watch your comments, they become ___________________
l. Watch your Facebook posts, they become _______________
Some Questions to think about on Tuesday 10/16/18
- Students live in digital world. Have students identify which character strengths are important to develop/ maintain and explain why. Reference the periodic table of character strengths below.
- FAIL and EPIC FAIL have become Internet memes. How is failing on the Internet different from failing in real life? Can you learn and develop character
strengths from Internet fails, too?
- After viewing the video students use a collaborative tool like padlet to share a character strength they identify in a classmate.
- What character strengths are valued most at your school? Are these the same as the character strengths most valued in your home, or are they different?
Questions for Wednesday 10/17/2018
- Using Character Strength as a reference: Students can journal/blog/reflect on the following question: “How can I be a better version of myself?”
- The film suggests we can affect other people’s character strengths, too. Do you agree? Can character be contagious? How?
- The film discusses the ways you can develop your character strengths in your day-to-day life. Can you think of some ways you can develop your character strengths in your online life?
Questions for Thursday 10/18/2018
- (Using an online forum or in person, or in class) Respond to a peer that has highlighted your character strength. Build up 2 peers by highlighting their character strength
Questions for Friday 10/19/2018
- Different cultures value different character strengths. What are the most valued character strengths in your culture?