Stay safe online check out the following resources:
- Teen Cybersmarts (password required– hover your cursor over the link or see librarian)
- Digital Citizenship resources
- Digital Citizenship (games and learning activities)
- The Smart Talk : Put your Internet Rules in Writing
- The Smart Talk Quick Guide (pdf download)
- Common Sense Media Parent’s Blog
- 7 steps to good digital parenting
- Parent Concerns (Common Sense Media)
- How colleges use kid’s social media feeds
- Digital Glossary
- How to know if your child is oversharing on social media (understood.org)
- 9 ways to protect your child from online predators (understood.org)
- Clean up your digital footprint
- Netsmartz: what do your kids do online? (topics)
- ConnectSafely.org : Parent’s guide to cybersecurity
- PTA: Digital Safety
- How to Protect your child from trolls
Some commonly asked questions (and Answers) from Common Sense Media:
- How can I make sure my teenager is being safe online?
- How do I protect my kid’s privacy online?
- What is the easiest way to learn about the privacy settings on Instagram, Facebook or other social media websites or apps?
- How can I make sure my kid’s privacy is protected when her teacher is using digital tools for teaching?
- Resources on Cyberbullying from Common Sense Media
- Understood.org : Cyberbullying ( what you need to know)
- Understood.org : How to tell if your child is being bullied online.
- What is Cyberexclusion ? (and how can parents help)
- A Parent’s guide to Snapchat
- Snapchat: what to do if you’re worried.
- What should parents know about Instagram?
- Instagram FAQ
- What are Social Media Basics for High School kids?
- Socializing Online (pdf download)
- Kids and socializing online
- Messaging, video chat and email
- How to block and report cyberbullies on Instagram
Here are some handouts courtesy of Common Sense Media:
Family Media Agreements (English and Spanish)
Customizable Device Contracts to set up with your kids (English and Spanish)
Common Sense tip sheets (English and Spanish)
Latest news from Common Sense media: