Stay safe online check out the following resources:
- Teen Cybersmarts (password required– hover your cursor over the link or see librarian)
- Digital Citizenship resources
- Digital Citizenship (games and learning activities)
- The Smart Talk : Put your Internet Rules in Writing
- The Smart Talk Quick Guide (pdf download)
- Common Sense Media Parent’s Blog
- 7 steps to good digital parenting
- Parent Concerns (Common Sense Media)
- How colleges use kid’s social media feeds
- Digital Glossary
- How to know if your child is oversharing on social media (understood.org)
- 9 ways to protect your child from online predators (understood.org)
- Clean up your digital footprint
- Netsmartz: what do your kids do online? (topics)
- ConnectSafely.org : Parent’s guide to cybersecurity
- PTA: Digital Safety
- How to Protect your child from trolls
Some commonly asked questions (and Answers) from Common Sense Media:
- How can I make sure my teenager is being safe online?
- How do I protect my kid’s privacy online?
- What is the easiest way to learn about the privacy settings on Instagram, Facebook or other social media websites or apps?
- How can I make sure my kid’s privacy is protected when her teacher is using digital tools for teaching?
- Resources on Cyberbullying from Common Sense Media
- Understood.org : Cyberbullying ( what you need to know)
- Understood.org : How to tell if your child is being bullied online.
- What is Cyberexclusion ? (and how can parents help)
- A Parent’s guide to Snapchat
- Snapchat: what to do if you’re worried.
- What should parents know about Instagram?
- Instagram FAQ
- What are Social Media Basics for High School kids?
- Socializing Online (pdf download)
- Kids and socializing online
- Messaging, video chat and email
- How to block and report cyberbullies on Instagram
Here are some handouts courtesy of Common Sense Media:
Family Media Agreements (English and Spanish)
[embeddoc url=”https://sohlibrary.edublogs.org/files/2013/04/common_sense_family_media_agreement-1jiq9mx-sr0qco.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]
[embeddoc url=”https://sohlibrary.edublogs.org/files/2013/04/fma_allbundled_esp-1-1jy9yay-1584uff.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]
Customizable Device Contracts to set up with your kids (English and Spanish)
[embeddoc url=”https://sohlibrary.edublogs.org/files/2013/04/customizabledevicecontract-1-1laqon2-pllinv.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]
[embeddoc url=”https://sohlibrary.edublogs.org/files/2013/04/customizabledevicecontract_esp-1-1mq6omf-2gi1okh.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]
Common Sense tip sheets (English and Spanish)
[embeddoc url=”https://sohlibrary.edublogs.org/files/2013/04/cf_familytipsheets_allbundled-1-16d32z5-1ef8y3u.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]
[embeddoc url=”https://sohlibrary.edublogs.org/files/2013/04/tips_sheets_all_update_esp-1-1r3qxqc-237m5j5.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]
Latest news from Common Sense media: